Basmati rice with honey and curry chickpeas
For an explosion of flavors that is easy and quick to prepare, this is the recipe you have been looking for!
- 1/2 (250 ml) basmati rice
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 cardamom pods, cracked
- 1 red pepper, julienned
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 c (500 ml) snow peas cut in half
- 2 cans 14 oz (398 ml) Del Monte chick peas
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 ml) Indian curry powder or paste
- 1 c (250 ml) vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2 c (125 ml) orange juice
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) honey
- 1 1/2 tbsp (22 ml) corn starch
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 c (60 ml) freshly chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) freshly chopped cilantro
- 1/2 c (125 ml) green grapes, sliced
- Rinse the rice under cold water.
- In a saucepan, heat half of the oil and add the rice. Stir to coat it well. 1 ½ c (375 ml) of water, salt and cardamom pods.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and cook for about 15 minutes or until rice is tender and has absorbed all the water.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat and cook the peppers and carrots 3-4 minutes.
- Add the snow peas, chickpeas and curry powder and cook for 2 minutes.
- In a measuring cup, mix the broth with the orange juice and honey, then stir in the corn starch.
- Pour into the pan and thicken. Season to taste.
- Add half of the herbs into the rice and divide among the plates.
- Garnish with chickpeas nad honey curry vegetables, as well as the remaining herbs and raisins.
Note: Vegetables can be replaced with a frozen mix.