Parmesan beet tartar with apple and dill salad
2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
1 clove garlic, chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 cans Del Monte diced beets
1 French shallot, finely chopped
1 tbsp (15 ml) whole grain mustard
1 ½ tbsp (22 ml) capers, coarsely chopped
2 tbsp (30 ml) mayonnaise
1/4 c (60 ml) grated parmesan
4 c (1 l) spring mix lettuce
1 apple, finely sliced
1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
2 tbsp (30 ml) freshly chopped dill
- Preheat the oven to 425 oF (210 oC).
- Slice the baguette and place on baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix together oil with garlic and microwave for 20 to 30 seconds. Baste baguette slices. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until the bread is golden and crispy. Remove from the oven and cool on a grill rack.
- Open the cans of beets and drain excess liquid.
- In a bowl, mix shallots with mustard, capers, mayonnaise and parmesan.
- Add beets and season with pepper to taste. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix lettuce with apple slices, oil, lemon juice and dill.
- Toss and season to taste.
- Dress in plates using a round cookie cutter or 3" (7.5 cm) ramekin to mould the tartar.
- Serve with salad and baguette croutons.