Beet and goat cheese salad
2 cans Del Monte diced beets
2/3 c (160 ml) walnuts
2 tbsp (30 ml) maple syrup
A pinch of fleur de sel
4 c (1 l) baby arugula
about 4 oz (120 g) unripen goat cheese or feta, crumbled
1 tsp (5 ml) Dijon mustard
1/4 c (60 ml) olive oil
3 tbsp (45 ml) balsamic vinegar
2 tsp (10 ml) maple syrup
Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large bowl, whisk dressing ingredients to emulsify.
- Add beets, then let marinate.
- In the meantime, in a pan on medium heat, toast nuts for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add maple syrup and continue cooking until the liquids clings to the nuts to caramelize.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a plate lined with parchment paper to stop cooking.
- Season with fleur de sel. Let cool and coarsely chop.
- Add arugula to the bowl with the beets and toss. Correct seasoning and dress in bowls or plates.
- Garnish with caramelized nuts and cheese before serving.