Urgent need for comfort food? Our minestrone soup, ready in 45 minutes, will keep you warm and will satisfy your appetite.
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced in rounds
- 1 c (250 ml) turnip, chopped
- 1 c (250 ml) celeriac, chopped
- 1 can 28 oz (796 ml) diced tomatoes
- 1 can 14 oz (398 ml) Del Monte red kidney beans
- 6 c chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 c (125 ml) mini shells or other small pasta
- 2 c (500 ml) Brussels sprouts, sliced
- 1 green zucchini, sliced in quarters
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) tomato paste
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) herbs of Provence
- In a large saucepan, heat oil to medium-high and sauté onions, garlic, carrots, turnip and celeriac for 5 minutes.
- Add beans, tomatoes and stock.
- Bring to a boil and simmer half-covered for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain, rinse under cold water and set aside.
- Add Brussel sprouts and zucchini to the soup. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the tomato paste and herbs of Provence. Season to taste and serve.