2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegan butter, in pieces
1/2 cup very cold water
1 - 796ml can Del Monte sliced peaches
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tbsp. maple syrup
1 tbsp. vegetable drink
1. In a food processor, blend all ingredients for the dough until you obtain a ball. With your hands, shape the ball, place it in a bowl, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
3. Drain peaches WITHOUT rinsing. Save 2 tbsp. of the syrup.
4. In a large skillet over medium heat, bring peaches and remaining topping ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside.
5. Cut dough in half. On a floured work surface, roll out one half and line a lightly oiled 23-cm (9-inch) diameter pie pan. Spread the filling over the dough. Drizzle the filling with the syrup previously set aside. Roll out the other half of the dough and cut 8 strips of about 1.5 cm (1/2 inch). Place 4 strips horizontally, then place the other 4 strips vertically, forming braids.
6. In a small bowl, mix maple syrup and vegetable drink for gilding. Brush over pie.
7. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.