Fruit cocktail cake with a nutty topping
This Del Monte fruit cocktail cake with a nutty topping is delicious with a cup of tea, and is also a great and nutritious snack for back to school.
375 ml (1 1/2 cup) all-purpose flour
7.5 ml (1 1/2 tsp) baking powder
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) salt
187.5 ml (3/4 cup) unsalted butter (at room temperature)
250 ml (1 cup) granulated sugar
62.5 ml (1/4 cup) sour cream
15 ml (1 tbsp.) vanilla extract
1 Del Monte can 398 ml Fruit Cocktail, strained
125 ml (1/2 cup) butter
62.5 ml (1/4 cup) cream
62.5 ml (1/4 cup) Del Monte fruit cocktail syrup
187.5 ml (3/4 cup) brown sugar
187.5 ml (3/4 cup) chopped walnuts
For the cake
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. In a mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk everything together.
3. In a separate mixing bowl, beat the butter on medium speed until soft and creamy. Add sugar, eggs, sour cream and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy.
4. Slowly add the flour mixture just until combined. Fold in the mixed fruits.
5. Spread the batter into the prepared cake pan.
6. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
For the nutty topping
1. In a pan, bring the butter, cream, fruit syrup and brown sugar to a boil.
2. Simmer for 4-5 minutes.
3. Add the nutsand mix well.
4. Pour over the cake.