Tofu banh mi with marinated carrots
2 tbsp (30 ml) rice vinegar
1/2 tsp (5 ml) sugar
1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
1 can Del Monte shredded carrots
11.5 oz (350 g) extra firm tofu
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp (15 ml) honey
2 tsp (10 ml) toasted sesame oil
2 tbsp (30 ml) tamari or soya sauce
1/3 c (80 ml) mayonnaise
1 tbsp (15 ml) hot pepper sauce (sriracha)
2 pains baguette
1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
1/2 c (125 ml) cilantro leaves
- In a bowl, pour vinegar and dissolve sugar and salt.
- Open the can of carrots and drain excess liquid.
- Add carrots, stir and let marinate while preparing the sandwiches.
- In another bowl, mix together garlic, honey, sesame oil and tamari.
- Slice tofu into 2" x 1" (5 cm x 2.5 cm) thickness and put in bowl. Coat the tofu well and let marinate for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix mayonnaise with hot sauce.
- Spread the tofu onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 450 oF (230 oC) for 7 to 8 minutes on each side.
- Drain carrots.
- Slice bread lengthwise and open like a book.
- Spread the mayonnaise and top with tofu, marinated carrots, cucumber and cilantro.