1 tbsp (15 ml) grilled roasted sesame oil
1 tbsp (15 ml) sesame seeds
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 can 14 oz (398 ml) Del Monte crushed pineapple
1/4 c (60 ml) soy sauce
3 tbsp (45 ml) honey or maple syrup
1/3 c (80 ml) fresh cilantro, chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper
(for meat, fish, tofu or legumes)
- In a large skillet on medium, toast the sesame seeds in the oil for 3 to 5 minutes or until the sesame seeds are lightly golden.
- Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the pineapple, soy sauce and honey. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add cilantro and season to taste.
- Add the protein and continue cooking, covered, for the following cooking times:
- Legumes: 5 to 7 minutes
- Sliced or cubed tofu: 5 to 10 minutes
- Chicken thighs or breasts: 20 to 30 minutes
- Pork chops: 15 to 20 minutes, depending on thickness
- Fish filets: 7 to 12 minutes, depending on thickness
If desired, sear the chicken, pork or tofu slices in a separate pan with a little oil before adding them to the topping to complete the cooking.